Services for Students, their Families, & Schools:
At Head & Heart International, we offer educational consulting, coaching, and curriculum for individual students, groups of students, and/or their academic organizations. We currently offer the following services:
ENRICHMENT CURRICULUM PROGRAMMING:
After School & Summer
(for K-12 schools & institutions only)
- Artsy English- students learn English language, life, & social-emotional skills through the Creative Arts (includes career & college readiness)
- Artsy Español- students learn immersive Spanish as a second language, life, & social-emotional skills through the Creative Arts (also includes career & college readiness).
- Head & Heart Life (currently in development)– students develop self-awareness and practical life & emotional skills that help them 1) develop a sense of purpose and 2) improve their career and college-related soft skills.
COACHING & CONSULTING:
Career & College Readiness
(for high school & college students only)
We fuse our passion for your academic and personal well being with our expansive knowledge of the field to help you make one of the most important decisions of your life: finding the right major for, getting accepted into, and making the most out of your time in the best higher education institution for YOU.
We are able to offer one-on-one individual sessions as well as discounted group sessions for students, their parents, and or their school staff. Depending on your location, whether you are living in the USA or in another country, we offer sessions both in-person or remotely. We can work with you as early as your sophomore year of high school, helping you decide on a best fit major correlated with a viable career path, then help you do what you need to select and get into a college. Once you’re attending, we can then coach you on how to maximize your 4 years in college according to your personalized path. We work with you for as little or as long as it takes to graduate, with the goal of graduating in 4 years. Specifically we offer:
- Academic Major and Career Coaching- 1) Determining your best fit major/s and career path, both before you enter a higher ed institution and all the way until you graduate, and 2) Advising on volunteer and paid non-academic activities that will enhance your personal growth, skills, and career marketability.
- Cultural, Academic, and Life Transition Coaching- Helping you adapt to college life & culture.
- College admissions (non-financial)- 1) Helping you find your best fit higher ed institution and 2) Tackle the application process for these institutions (for both domestic and international students).
- English Exam, Writing, and Literacy Tutoring- 1) Writing a phenomenal “college entrance essay” for both native and non-native speakers of English, and 2) Tutoring to achieve the desired and necessary score on the TOEFL, IELTS, and/or SAT.
Academic Major & Career Coaching
Many consultants focus on helping you choose the right college, leaving you alone with the rest. We think having a clearer idea on your chosen career path and related major is most important, which then helps you choose the right college. This saves you time and money that would have otherwise been lost on switching majors, taking a 5th or 6th year to graduate, not graduating at all with wasted financial investment and debt, or having to change careers and start over later in life.
Using various, up-to-date tools providing information on colleges across the country and today’s careers, combined with research-based personal assessment tools that determine your overall personality, learning styles, values, desired work environment, and interests, we advise you on the following:
- Determining your best fit major/s and career of interest at all stages of your college career starting in high school
- Advising on non-academic activities that will enhance your personal growth, skills, and career marketability
- Guidance with resumes, internships, assistantships, job interviewing, etc.
- Major and career options unique to international students
College Admissions Consulting
The college application process can be stressful and overwhelming and the environment where you’ll spend the next 4 years can make or break you. No matter what higher ed institution you end up attending, we want you to thrive, not just survive. It’s crucial to attend a college that supports your academic and career goals, as well as compliments your personality and interests, not to mention your wallet. Location, size, cost, extracurriculars offered, culture, diversity, approach to international students, among many others, are all important considerations to take in account before you write that deposit check. Here is what we can help you do:
- Narrowing down several best fit universities in the USA typically based on having more confidently chosen a major (see “Academic Major and Career Coaching”).
- Developing the best possible student profile for colleges of interest.
- Tackling the application process for college admissions: search process, managing deadlines and time management, the application, materials needed, admissions interviews, physical visits, comparative analysis post-acceptance, etc.
- Writing a phenomenal and impressive “college entrance essay” (for native and non-native speakers of English)
- International Students: Admissions procedures and challenges unique to international students, such as (but not limited to): approach to diversity, opportunities for international students, student visa procedures, conditional admissions, Intensive English programs
Cultural & Life Transition Coaching
It’s not just about getting in and surviving for 4 years- it’s about thriving there so you can graduate as a confident, clear, purposeful, and career-ready adult. Leaving the comfort and familiarity of your family, region, country, and/or high school, which often have clearer expectations and rules, can be exciting but challenging for many no matter where you came from. Furthermore, studies show that what you’re not directly asked to do in college- such as volunteer and leadership activities, informational interviews, time management strategies, experiences that build emotional intelligence, etc.- are actually greater determinants of success than G.P.A. International students have the added challenge of an often unfamiliar culture and studying advanced academics in a non-native language. “College culture shock” can happen to students of all backgrounds, however, whether it be academic, emotional, social, cultural, or any other myriad of ways. Here are some ways we can help:
For Domestic Students:
- Guidance with transitioning to and adapting to college life, academically, socially, and career-wise based on your unique needs and personality
- Time management, study skills, college-level writing skills, and other academic and life skills for young adulthood in a college setting
For International Students:
Many international students often arrive to the U.S. with very different
expectations than what they actually encounter. Culture is so more than just the “6 F’s” commonly represented in movies and social media: Food, Fashion, Festivals, Folklore, Films, and Famous people. You’re not only adjusting to a major life transition, but also unfamiliar values, ways of seeing the world and patterns of communication- not to mention a language that is not your own. We can educate you on the realities, idiosyncrasies, and other less-known aspects of your new culture: ways to thrive, not just survive. This includes pre and post-placement coaching on:
- Culture shock and how to handle it
- Academic culture and expectations in the classroom and in your work output
- Academic writing etiquette & skills
- Social expectations and norms, gender roles, etc.
- Work and career etiquette and expectations
- Language etiquette and usage; important phrases and idioms
English Exam Prep, Writing Tutoring, & Literacy Tutoring for Native & Non-native English speakers
Most students agree that standardized tests are a challenge. The TOEFL, for example, tests not only academic language in the 4 core areas: Reading, Writing, Listening, and Speaking, but also academic and cognitive skills. It’s an unnecessary evil, but we can help boost your scores to whatever you need depending on your future goals and chosen university. This includes:
- SAT tutoring (English portion)
- Tutoring to achieve the desired and necessary score on the TOEFL and IELTS exams, including all 4 portions: Reading, Writing, Speaking, & Listening
- Pronunciation coaching for the speaking portion and college interview
- Writing coaching for TOEFL writing portions
Entrance Exam Writing Coaching
- Writing tuturing and coaching for your college entrance essays (for both native and non-native speakers of English)
- Literacy/Reading (Grades 3-5)
- English/ELA (Grades 6-12)
- Spanish (all levels)