Artsy Languages International: Specific Programs
ARTSY ENGLISH is a unique after-school and summer enrichment program designed to develop school-aged students’ life & social-emotional (SEL) skills through the mediums of internationally-minded English language and Creative Arts activities. For high schoolers, SEL/Life Skills also include Career & College Readiness.
ARTSY ESPAÑOL is Artsy English’s Spanish counterpart. Its primary objective is also developing life & social-emotional skills through the Creative Arts in school-aged students, while emphasizing communicative competence through immersive Spanish activities.
ARTSY ENGLISH & ARTSY ESPAÑOL curricula are structured and strategic, with the goal of learning, practicing, applying, and showcasing specific social-emotional & life skills that are simultaneously embedded with language learning targets.
Through our cutting-edge twin curricula, all 6 primary language skills in English or Spanish are learned- Reading, Writing, Speaking, Listening, Vocabulary, & Grammar – and immediately applied the fun and natural way through practical and creative activities that students will authentically enjoy. These activities can be categorized into the following: Visual Arts, Music, Drama & Video, Life Skills, Kinesthetic Arts, and Culinary Arts.
ARTSY ENGLISH is currently available in two levels: Beginner and Intermediate/Advanced, with a recommendation of at least one year of prior English instruction or exposure.
ARTSY ESPAÑOL is also available in two levels: Beginner and Intermediate, with a recommendation of one year of prior Spanish instruction or exposure.
ARTSY ENGLISH & ARTSY ESPAÑOL curricula enhance the following in students:
- Creative skills in the Visual & Performing Arts
- Language skills (can be in students’ first or second language)
- Self & social awareness (social-emotional skills)
- Self & relationship management (social-emotional skills)
- Self-confidence & self-esteem
- Practical communication skills
- Cross-cultural & global awareness
- A clearer sense of individual purpose in context with what today’s world needs
INTERNATIONAL & DIVERSITY THEMES:
- All sessions follow themes of cross-cultural awareness & expression
- Students learn language, creative, life, and social-emotional skills through the lens of culture
- Emphasis on connection to self identity and roots
- Awareness and appreciation of cultural, ethnic, and/or racial diversity
TIMING: For local after school or summer programs, the program is optimally offered as a 10-week, 40-hour program, but can be adapted for shorter or longer sessions.
DIGITAL VERSION: Currently, the entire curriculum is in the process of being fully digitalized for a modern and convenient alternative!
Through ARTSY ENGLISH & ARTSY ESPAÑOL (English or Spanish as a New Language), students will employ hands-on activities in some or all of the following areas:
- English/Spanish through Visual Arts: Photography, painting, drawing, collage-making, digital design, etc.
- English/Spanish through Music: Singing/karaoke (including lyric-writing & translation), digital music production, guitar, piano, etc.
- English/Spanish through Drama & Video: Role-playing, formal plays, advertisements, skits, improv, etc.
- English/Spanish through Kinesthetic Arts: Dance, yoga, sports, aerobics, physical games
- English/Spanish through Culinary Arts: Healthy cuisine and cooking from students’ native cultures or backgrounds
- English/Spanish through Life Skills (derived from our Head & Heart Life Curriculum): Topics include: Self/career/college exploration & readiness, self-identity development, conflict resolution, academic skills, communication skills, business etiquette, cultural awareness & etiquette, additional types of social emotional learning, and other “soft skills.”
Artsy English & Artsy Español Summer International Exchange Programs
Starting in Summer 2023, we will also offer a 6-WEEK SUMMER INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE CAMP modeled after the Artsy English and Artsy Español after school and USA-based summer programs. Through these programs, native speakers of English will travel to Latin America or Spain to learn Spanish the natural way, and native speakers of Spanish will learn English in the United States or virtually. We will also offer the option for a fully virtual participation in the program if preferred or necessary.
Classes will be taught through a Learning Management System that is used by all students (both virtual and in person) for the academic and language activities as well as the management and organization of assignments. Also, in addition to language assignments, computers can be utilized for creation of art, music, and video.
Our international exchange program teaches a hybrid model of language skills through the following hands-on creative activities that will be supplemented with cultural visits to local venues and field-based tourist excursions. Examples include:
- Learn a new language through Visual Arts Tourism: Student campers visit local art museums and exhibits
- Learn a new language through Music Tourism: Student campers visit local concerts and music venues
- Learn a new language through Theater Arts Tourism: Student campers visit local theater and comedy clubs
- Learn a new language through Kinesthetic Arts Tourism: Student campers visit local ballets, dance troupes, sports games and nature excursions
- Learn a new language through Culinary Arts Tourism: Student campers visit local restaurants and markets
- Learn a new language through Life Skills and Head & Heart Life Curriculum: Student campers visit local colleges, meet with local professionals in careers of interest, speak with visiting teachers and consultants like financial advisors and mental health therapists, and other life skills workshops.