Artsy English Program
ARTSY ENGLISH is a unique academic enrichment program designed to help school-aged students learn English as a new language through the visual & performing arts and life skills activities.
All 6 primary language skills are learned- Reading, Writing, Speaking, Listening, Vocabulary, & Grammar – and immediately applied the fun and natural way through self-expressive activities that students will authentically enjoy.
All classes follow a common theme of dual cultural awareness & expression:
- Learn language through the lens of culture
- Connection to self identity and roots
- Celebration of diversity
For local after school or summer programs, the program is currently offered as a 10- week program. In the future, we will be rolling out additional modalities, including ARTSY ESPAÑOL— the Spanish as a New Language counterpart to Artsy English— that has similar programming and curriculum.
The ARTSY ENGLISH curriculum will be structured and strategic, with the goal of learning, practicing, applying, and showcasing specific language targets, as well as gaining and applying new artistic and life skills. Currently, the entire curriculum is in the process of being fully digitalized as well for a safe and convenient alternative!
Through ARTSY ENGLISH (English as a New Language), students will employ creative, communicative, hands-on activities in some or all of the following areas, all with the focus on learning or improving language skills:
- Visual Arts: Photography, painting, drawing, sculpture, jewelry making, etc.
- Music: Singing/karaoke [including lyric-writing], producing, guitar, piano, etc.)
- Drama & Video: Role-playing, formal plays, advertisements, skits, improv, etc.
- Kinesthetic Activities: Dance, yoga, sports, aerobics, physical games)
- Culinary Arts: Organic and/or native culture, healthy cuisine and cooking.
- Life Skills (derived from our Head & Heart Life Curriculum): Topics including: Self/career/college exploration & preparation, academic skills, business etiquette, cultural awareness & etiquette, conflict resolution, social emotional learning, other soft skills, and/or financial literacy.
Artsy English/Español Summer International Exchange Program
In the near post-pandemic future, we will also offer a 6-WEEK SUMMER INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE CAMP modeled after the Artsy English after school program. In this program, native speakers of English will travel to Latin America to learn Spanish the natural way, and native speakers of Spanish will learn English in the United States or virtually. We will also offer the option for a fully virtual participation in the program if preferred or necessary.
Classes will be taught through a Learning Management System that is used by all students (both virtual and in person) for the academic and language activities as well as the management and organization of assignments. Also, in addition to language assignments, computers can be utilized for creation of art, music, and video.
Our international exchange program teaches a hybrid model of language skills through the following hands-on creative activities that will be supplemented with cultural visits to local venues and field-based tourist excursions. Examples include:
- Visual Arts: Local art museums and exhibits
- Music: Local concerts and music venues
- Drama & Video: Local theatres and comedy clubs
- Kinesthetic Activities: Local ballets, sports games and nature excursions
- Culinary Arts: Local restaurants and markets
- Life Skills and Head & Heart Life Curriculum: Local college visits, meetings with local professionals in careers of interest, visiting teachers and consultants like financial advisors and mental health therapists, and other life skills workshops.